The Jesse Tree is named from Isaiah 11:1: "A shoot will spring forth from the stump of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots."
According to Dean Meador Lambert, author of The Advent Jesse Tree: Devotions for Children and Adults to prepare for the coming of the Christ Child at Christmas, "The Jesse Tree seeks to tell the story of God's redemptive plan for the world through 25 symbols from the Old and New Testament. The symbols trace the heritage of Jesus Christ from the beginning of creation. Each symbol is explained with scriptures, devotions, questions, prayers, a memory verse, and songs."
Here are the "rules"
- Choose an ornament you would like. Remember, you'll be making 25 of the same ornament, so make it somewhat simple/doable.
- Email me so I can put your name beside the ornament list below.
- Ask a friend to join you. Someone at church, a neighbor, family member, etc.
- Have them do #'s 1 and 2.
- Meeting place and time will be announced.
- On the night of the exchange, simply bring your 25 ornaments (all the same one) in a basket. Have each ornament individually wrapped in a baggie with a label stating what it is and what day it is for (see picture below). This is a great help during the month of December and putting them away afterwards.
- Also, we'll bring a simple dish to the exchange.
I can't emphasize enough how these do not need to be fancy. You can even have your children help you. I will put together a list of the scriptures that go with each ornament. I have the book mentioned above, but it's not necessary. I think it was $10. I get some ideas from it for discussion and questions each night.Here are the ornament choices (the green ones are spoken for :) :
Day 1 - Globe --Paula Buckhalt
Day 2 - Apple and Snake -- Olga Ford
Day 3 - Ark with Rainbow -- Dawn Wood
Day 4 - Camel and Tent -- Kim Wisniewski
Day 5 - A Lamb -- Heather Scavo
Day 6 - A Ladder -- Cyndi Williams
Day 7 - A Colorful Coat -- JoEllen Holder
Day 8 - A Tablet with Ten Numbers -- Louise Connolly
Day 9 - A Cluster of Grapes --Marilyn Haney
Day 10 - A Sheaf of Wheat -- Robbie Smith
Day 11 - A Slingshot -- Tonya Nelson
Day 12 - A Scroll or Bible -- Laura Clougherty
Day 13 - A Stump with Fresh Shoot or Green Leaf -- Tonya Nelson
Day 14 - A Lion and a Lamb -- Kristen
Day 15 - A Dove and a Crown -- Amy Eads
Day 16 - A Lamb and a Shepherd's Staff -- Anne Fortier
Day 17 - A Cross -- Monica Smart
Day 18 - A Heart with Writing on It -- Danelle Holland
Day 19 - A Bethlehem Town Silhouette with Star -- Debbie Darwin
Day 20 - A Fiery Furnace -- Luray Jeffers
Day 21 - A Brick Wall -- Kim Bennett
Day 22 - A Star -- Suzanne Norfleet
Day 23 - A Candle or Light -- Holly Rucker
Day 24 - An Angel -- Lori Earnest
Day 25 - A Baby in a Manger or a Nativity Scene -- Stacy Darwin
Please email me at email@example.com if you are interested in participating in this exchange or if you have any questions.